The Visual Agency is a data and information design agency specialized in communicating complexity and visualizing data.
Since our inception we have been using information design to unlock the story-telling power of data. Turning numbers and words into meaningful visualizations, memorable insights and engaging experiences.
A decade of growth
The Visual Agency’s story starts in 2011, when our Founder, Paolo Guadagni, former CEO of the award-winning Milanese PR agency Digital PR, was approached by the Italian Nuclear Forum, a government agency with the challenge of effectively communicating large amounts of data about nuclear energy to the Italian population. Guadagni joined forces with Professor Paolo Ciuccarelli, Founder and then Head of the Density Design Lab at Politecnico di Milano with the idea to establish a specialized agency combining technical know-how and data-science with creative design and communications. Later that year The Visual Agency was born.
- Founded on November 17th with the Alchimia Holding possessing a one-third stake. Among the first European start-ups offering data visualization solutions in Italy, one of the very first worldwide.
- The company’s first three employees are hired to cover the departments: motion graphics, interactive and information design.
- The Visual Agency gained independence from the Alchimia Holding making Paolo Guadagni the sole shareholder.
- Since the very beginning Prof. Ciuccarelli supported The Visual Agency as a mentor, updating the team with regards to scientific research in data-visualization.
- The Visual Agency set out to enlarge its staff adding ever new skill-sets to the team.
- The agency closes the financial year at a profit.
- Launch of the new Brand Identity.
- Together with 2 partners, The Visual Agency founded ParcodiYellowstone, a brand identity and web design company to drive growth in the digital arena.
- The Visual Agency launches Visualeyed, the first-ever Italian visual journalism magazine.
- Promotion of Matteo Bonera to Creative Director and Francesco Roveta to Design Director.
- In 2017 Francesco Foscari, chairman of iCorporate, became investor and partner of The Visual Agency strengthening the board with his national and international network and long-standing expertise in corporate PR and Communications.
- The agency wins a very large tender from ENI to produce static, interactive and video infographics for 3 years.
- Prof. Paolo Ciuccarelli joins as a partner and member of the board with a 10% share.
- Nina Corradini joins the team as S&M Director.
- Turnover exceeds 1 million Euros.
- Parcodiyellowstone became an independent company and key partner of The Visual Agency.
- The renowned and award-winning project ‘Leonardo da Vinci’s Codex Atlanticus is published and presented at several international events.
- The Visual Agency bought a 30% stake in Dalk, a start-up focusing on developing data-driven content and supporting the expansion of both businesses.
- Agency receives over 10 awards across design, editorial and digital, animation and data visualization.
- Turnover reached almost 1,5 million Euros.
- The Visual Agency received multiple awards for Codex Atlanticus, including a gold at the prestigious Webby and Indigo Awards.
- The Visual Agency sets its sights on international expansion with the establishment of The Visual Agency International in Dubai, UAE. Former Google Italy Country Director and GoDaddy EMEA Vice President, Stefano Maruzzi, is at the helm of the new office and also the newest member of the Board. This expansion marks a milestone for The Visual Agency and we are looking into the future with excitement and with the willingness to grow in all directions adding value, expertise and passion to our client’s projects internationally.
Principles of Design/Work
Our mission is to help clients transform qualitative and quantitative information through visualizations into in-depth insights, concrete knowledge and powerful narratives.
Our Work Approach
Our guiding principle is collaboration when working with our clients. We adapt our approach to the needs of each of our clients, often working as one.
We achieve this by applying a collaborative work approach, adapted to the needs of each of our clients, often working as a 360° service to them to ensure strategy, design development and execution.
Our process begins with a detailed initial kick-off session, which allows our team to evaluate the project journey and solution alternatives to deliver the best tailor-made solution for our clients, and their business objectives.
Thereafter, we transition to the conceptualisation phase, where we review the data and project scope to build an overarching framework for delivery.
Design & Development
Once both partners have agreed on the conceptualisation, we move on to the ideation and design phase, aligning creative strategy with analysis and visualization design in order to effectively tell the client’s story.
Development and refinement of the design will have multiple disciplinary touch-points depending on the type of solution being delivered prior to the final deployment.
The Visual Agency is renowned for helping our customers communicate complex information such as:
- Social responsibility strategy
- Financial data
- Business performance
- Supply chain management approaches
- Technical instructions through translating them into visually stimulating print or digital designs
- Information and data related to arts, culture and science
Paolo Guadagni CEO